Competitor Rules & Regulations
The following rules and regulations apply to all participants of the Tucson Marathon Events and MUST be adhered to at all times during the event. It is the responsibility or each competitor to read and understand all of the following before starting the race. All competitors are responsible for their actions. These rules have been established to protect the natural landscape, competitors, volunteers and other individuals using the trail system. Failure to comply with these rules may result in: time penalties, immediate disqualification from the event or fines. The Race Directors have the authority to alter and/or implement rules and/or the course as needed before or during the event. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and assistance. Additional rules may follow.
1. All runners MUST be registered with race management and MUST display their official race bib number on the front of their body so it is visible at all times. The bibs contain timing chips, which will provide a true time should you start at the back of the race field. However, awards for the event are based on gun time (that is, the first person to cross the finish line in each event).
2. No Littering! Other than dropping cups and clothing items at an Aid Station or race starting lines, littering of any kind is strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated. If you are caught littering and/or leaving debris of any kind on the race course, you will be immediately disqualified from the event and denied entry to any future Tucson Marathon Events. (If you wear extra clothing to the starting line, we ask that you please discard these items in the starting line area or at an aid station as they will be donated to local non-profits.) Items left at the Start/Finish Lines or at Aid Stations along the course will not be returned. Please use the race bag (“drop bag”) provided at packet pick-up (labeled clearly with your bib number and name) to send items from the Start Line to the Finish Line.
3. All runners must stay on the marked course and adhere to directions and instructions provided by law enforcement officials and/or voluteers. Any competitor taking an alternate route from the official marked route must return (on foot) to the point of course departure before continuing. So, please do not shortcut, take a different path or cut the course.
4. All competitors must complete the entire course for their designated race under their own power. That is, carrying, pushing, pulling or towing a registered runner is strictly prohibited at all times. Additionally, all competitors must cross the finish line before the course closes, and pass any intermediate course cut-offs, if applicable.
5. Please use good sportsmanship and running etiquette: be courteous to bikers and other runners. Collisions along the course could be disastrous. We are using public roads, so please be aware of vehicular and bike traffic. All competitors must treat the volunteers, aid station personnel and medical staff in a courteous manner.
6. Pets are not allowed on the course. Please respect your fellow competitors and leave your pets at home, which is where ours will be.
7. Injection of illicit drugs (intravenous, intramuscular, subcutaneous) during the event may result in immediate disqualification. Please, no alcohol on the course.
8. Any runner who is unable to finish the Race must personally inform the aid station captain or medical volunteer at the nearest checkpoint of their decision to withdraw. Please do not leave the course without first notifying a race official.
9. All cut-off times will be enforced on race day. The course closes for all raes at 1:30pm. Following are the closing times for the on-course aid stations. Aid Stations Closing Times are as follows: 2.4mi = 7:35am; 3.9mi = 8am; 5.8mi = 8:30am; 7.4mi = 9am; 10.3 mi = 9:35am; 11.6mi = 10am; 12.9mi = 10:20am; 15.0mi (1.9mi) = 10:50am; 16.7mi (3.6mi) = 11:15am; 18.9mi (5.8mi) = 11:50am; 19.9mi (6.8mi) = 12:05pm; 21.0mi (7.9mi) = 12:20pm; 21.9mi (8.8mi) = 12:40pm; 22.9mi (9.8mi) = 12:55pm; 24.0mi (10.9mi) = 1:05pm, 25.1mi (12mi) = 1:20pm, Finish Line = 1:30pm
10. Due to permitting requirements the following items are not allowed to assist, or be utilized by, participants during the event: Bicycles, Baby Joggers, Strollers, Motorcycles, Mopeds, All-terrain Vehicles, and/or similar motorized or non-motorized vehicles.
11. Registration Fees are non-refundable and roll-over or deferrals are not offered for the Tucson Marathon Events.
12. All participants must take an official race shuttle bus to their respective starting line. For safety and permit requirements, drop-offs are not allowed at the full or half marathon starting areas.
Infractions Resulting In Disqualification:
- Short-cutting of the course
- Failure to display bib number
- Getting in a moving vehicle before informing a race official
- Failing to withdraw on request of race officials
- Impeding another runner
- Running outside of cones used to mark the course
- Pushing a baby jogger or stroller
- Not making a course cut-off time
Infractions Resulting In Denial Of Future Entry:
- Running as a bandit
- Failing to respect private property
- Mistreating aid station personnel, runners, medical staff, or race officials